Facial Hair Electrolysis
Facial hair can be an incredibly difficult problem to live with, even compared to unwanted hair elsewhere on the body. At least leg hair and belly hair can be strategically hidden under clothing. Dark, visible face fuzz is a cause of insecurity for many, and it can come about during puberty or be triggered by later hormonal shifts such as pregnancy or menopause. It can even be caused by medical issues such as polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). However, there are options out there that can take care of facial hair permanently. Electrolysis by Melissa offers facial hair electrolysis for women and men who want a long-term method of removing facial hair.
Facial Hair Removal Requests
Everyone’s facial hair is different, and the requests for facial hair removal are highly individual. Master Esthetician Melissa has been asked to help with permanent hair removal on just about any part of the face, including:
- Upper Lip
- Corners of mouth
As a highly individual service, we recommend schedule a consultation with Melissa to discuss your particular facial hair situation and goals. Depending on how many (or few) hairs you are looking to get rid of, Melissa will put together a treatment plan for you. You can then plan your schedule, and get an idea of how many sessions are required to address a particular area.
Permanently Remove Facial Hair?
Uniquely among the many hair removal methods available today (laser treatment, depilatory cream, shaving) electrolysis is recognized as a permanent method of hair removal by both the United States Food and Drug Association and the American Medical Association. The method by which electrolysis works is by inserting a very fine needle into the hair follicles, and either using an small amount of electricity or heat to target hair follicles’ ability to regrow hair. With this ability disabled, the hair will fall out of its own accord shortly after, and it will not grow back. This is the same procedure that electrologists use on many areas of the body, including the breasts, underarms, abdomen, bikini line, fingers and toes, legs, and back. Even more so than other types of body hair, though, electrolysis is suitable for removing dark hair on your face because it excels at rendering small areas of skin completely hairless, with next to no side effects. Unlike waxing or tweezing, ingrown hairs are not possible as a side effect of electrolysis. There is no chemical element to electrolysis unlike hair removal cream or wax, so you can’t have an allergic reaction.
PCOS Facial Hair & Electrolysis
Electrolysis is a very effective treatment for women with PCOS who suffer from unwanted facial hair. It is widely recommended by doctors and PCOS advocacy organizations. The hormonal imbalance caused by the cysts affects certain follicles, causing vellus hair (short, fine, barely visible) to stop growing and terminal hair (long, coarse, dark) to grow instead. Other hair removal methods, such as laser hair removal, can inadvertently activate adjacent follicles, triggering further terminal hair growth. Electrologists are unable to personally diagnose PCOS. However, typically in the initial consultation your electrologist will hold with you, they will ask questions in order to establish when and how your unwanted hair presented itself. Melissa specializes in helping women with PCOS and other hormonal imbalances manage their terminal hair growth. While doctors often try to prescribe medication such as birth control pills to regulate hormone levels and mitigate PCOS symptoms, this approach can often lead to additional side effects and complications. Electrolysis is a direct approach to managing one symptom, with a string of proven results.
Why Use Electrolysis?
Besides the permanence of the treatment, there are many reasons to favor electrolysis over other approaches to hair removal.
- Universally effective: unlike modalities such as laser treatment, electrolysis is effective on 100% of hair types and skin tones.
- Pain: while electrolysis can cause mild discomfort, it is a great improvement over the burning and soreness that laser treatment can cause, the abrasions and ingrown hairs caused by waxing, and the allergic reactions caused by depilatory creams.
- Skin damage: when administered by a professional electrologist, there is an incredibly minute chance of skin damage such as hyperpigmentation. On the other hand, laser treatment and tweezing can cause lasting harm such as hyperpigmentation or scarring.
Any redness or soreness caused by the electrolysis procedure should abate within a 24 period. With the use of aloe, ice, or our recommended products to manage the inflammation, this period can be shortened further.
You have hair where you don’t want it, let us help you get rid of it forever with safe and effective electrolysis for all skin tones, hair colors, ethnicities and yes, all body parts!
Electrolysis Tips and Advice
- For a more comfortable treatment avoid caffeine for a few hours before your appointment.
- Gently exfoliating your skin before your treatment opens up the follicles and lets the unwanted hair slide out more easily.
- If your master esthetician can’t see the hairs, they can’t zap the hairs. Plucking, waxing, threading, or tweezing before your hair removal appointment reduces the number of hairs your electrologist can remove.
- Rest assured that electrology is the only hair removal method recognized as permanent by the FDA.
- Ask your electrologist for aftercare advice. We can recommend the product that is right for your skin and treatment program
- Talk to your master esthetician about any questions or concerns. We want your experience to be as comfortable and effective as possible.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Drinking plenty of water helps unwanted hair slide out more easily.
- Clean skin releases unwanted hair more easily. Remove your makeup before your appointment, so the hair follicles are clean and accessible.
- It’s okay to shave between treatments, but never, ever tweeze!
- The hair you see is not all the hair you have. Hair grows in cycles. That’s why it takes more than one appointment to permanently clear an area.
Upgrade your Electrolysis Treatment
Add these services to make it an luxury experience at a package price.
- Glow & Go Facials $65
- Facial Mask $25
- Brow Tint $25
- Lash Tint $25
- Hand Treatment $25
- High Frequency $25
- Numbing Topical $6
- Lash Lift $40